Pawn - Aimee Carter

by 12:30 AM 0 comments
Pawn - Aimee Carter
(Blackcoat Rebellion #1)
Released: December 1
Publisher: Harlequin AUS 
SynopsisFor Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.


~ Goodreads ~

* * *

What I Thought:  So Pawn was not what I was expecting... I am a big fan of Aimee Carter after her brilliant Goddess series - so I was expecting big things from this novel, and again, I was a bit disappointed (Yep, been happening a lot lately.) Pawn is about a dystopian style society in which all people are tested and given ranks which will determine their occupations and their income. Kitty Doe, a dyslexic, comes out with a level 3, which is below average - giving her a shitty job in a faraway city - far away from her boyfriend Benjy. Benjy is super smart, so Kitty knows he's going to be a level 6, and together they are going to live in comfort. So she decides to become a prostitute for the month before Benjy's test, so she doesn't have to be sent away. This ridiculous idea leads to Kitty agreeing to become a level 7, and in turn turning her into someone else.

I didn't like Kitty, I didn't like Benjy, I hated almost all of the Hart family - I think the two characters I liked most were Knox and Greyson. Sure, Kitty was supposed to be fierce and manipulative and all that, but really, it didn't come across for me. I didn't really care for Benjy at all, almost forgot about him even. I loved Knox, but I didn't even want him as a love interest.

The redeeming qualities about this book were the few surprises I got, and of course the beautiful writing. Aimee Carter certainly has a way with word-building, I'll definitely give her that. But to be honest, I'm not sure I liked Pawn enough to want to read the sequel. I guess we'll just see what happens.

If you like Aimee Carter, or Dystopian style fiction, be sure to give this one a go.

The Good: Knox. Mmmmmhmmmm.

The Bad: The whole story felt a bit meh.

Rating:



Mad Claire
xo

Unknown

Reader, Blogger

Twenty-something | book-blogger | tea-drinker | procrastinator | wannabe-writer | student

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ooh yes, comments puh-leaaase :D